Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5 Disability Awareness Dialogue

Hi Friends

I am sure by now you are certain I have tunnel vision and have forgotten all about all sorts of mobility challenges, hidden disabilities, mental impairments, the entire autism spectrum. I have not forgotten, but decided instead to riff on “Blindness Tourism,” better than blindfolds ways to try one’s hand at blindness.

Today’s email brings news that an upcoming Dining in the Dark fundraiser locally is still looking for blind waiters. I have never, ever, not even once in my life ever held a job as a waitperson and really cannot imagine starting now. More to the point, I am otherwise occupied on the day they need. But I would not mind in the least hearing that the event is being catered by a local blind chef.

But never mind my capacity for ranting beyond obvious Light. Dining in the Dark events started in Germany and are usually fundraisers for some good cause or another. The Seattle one is for something called Global Explorers. Volunteer waitstaff will be given signed copies of a book by Erik Weihenmayer, a blind guy who climbed Mount Everest a few years ago. I personally am amused by a blind guy handing out signed copies of a book in print to other blind people. I am amused by other moments from the commentary below as well. But my amusement meter is set peculiarly.

Enjoy! ? !

http://www.blindness.org/index.php?view=article&catid=85%3Afundraising-events&id=558%3Adining-in-the-dark&option=com_content&Itemid=169



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d548Gqb4j7s&noredirect=1



http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/05/a_sighted_account_of_dining_in.php


http://www.bizbash.com/dining_in_the_dark_for_foundation_fighting_blindness_was_well_eye-opening/newyork/story/17642


(RantWoman)



Dear RantWoman

I did not follow up with the links you provided but did appreciate my awareness meter rising ever so slightly in tune with your comments in ... this email.

Blindfold Tourism Friend n or n+1


Dear Friend

I am not in charge. A bunch of different clerks of things are not in charge. God is in charge. I really do not expect everyone to interact with everything and it will not take much for BIG progress compared to a whole bunch of issues.

Enough different people are doing the same irritating and / or
uninformed things that I am in one way or another just tilling the
ground about a whole bunch of topics like the life with no vision /
messed up vision issue. It's not really like it's the most fun thing
to invite people to walk alongside about in the first place, but it
also matters that people have enough information to respond when I try
to speak to what is most important TO ME.

I also have ...different levels of convictions about how some of these issues relate to community life. So I am to be tru to the Light I am given, but I am TRYING to stay away from. say, flame throwers.

(RantWoman)

2 comments:

  1. I love this dining in the dark idea! That is such a cool concept for helping seeing people to comprehend what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also actually think that Dining in the Dark is an interesting idea as disabilities tourism goes.

    I think people were honest about how hard it is. I was also amused by diners in one of the videos who kind of went primitive and one just ate straight from his plate. Okay, I live alone and ONCE IN AWHILE there is a good reason to do that.

    If my annoy-o-meter were not already past maximum, I might rant about the chef who thought dining in the dark meant dumbed down flavors though he phrased it some other way. Excuse me but if that chef doesn't think I can handle grown up food on other days, I am happy to avoid patronizing his restaurant!

    ReplyDelete