Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25 Disabilities Awareness Item

Dear Friends

This item is in keeping with the Pendle Hill pamphlet called On Hallowing our Diminishments about the spiritual gifts of accepting changed capacity. I have not checked the Pendle Hill site, but I THINK in addition to print in the UFM library, this pamphlet is available to order in print or in PDF. I am afraid I am stuck on my own gifts, spiritual and otherwise. Once in awhile I discern that someone else seems to be appreciating their own gifts in this vein; again, if anyone wants to offer their own spiritual gifts in this area, I am happy to take the day off—and MAYBE even be appreciative of your offerings.

I know I have written and I think I have sent more than one account of all the wacky things going on IN my eyes. Here are items about what I do or do not see.

Here is an item about the gifts of not necessarily seeing that would require one to do more housekeeping.
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2011/02/magic-dandruff.html


Here is another item about not necessarily seeing:
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2010/12/armchair-hound.html

There are two not necessarily seeing moments. The one about the underwear alludes to a time I went to dinner at my friends he Weed Whackin’ Wenches’ house.One of the Wenches was a housemate in college and is also legally blind but with different seeing and reading and mobility experiences than mine. We ate in the kitchen and I paid no attention at all to their clean underwear in a heap all over the dining room table. In other words, legally blind guests do not even have to work to overlook housekeeping lapses.


Here is an item about my not being able to read faces issue especially from across a big committee chamber. In this case, if I cannot see someone’s face to tell whether I might be boring the Chairman of a state senate committee, I at least get to be liberated of embarrassment about it. Sometimes it helps to plop one’s white cane on the table. Sometimes it does not necessarily.
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2009/02/testimony.html
 The committee chairman in question was both direct and gracious about the matter.


Here are a couple items about when I actually see better than I ever could at normal distances with no magnification because of my screen enlargement software. This does not mean the view is recommendable, but…
Some of my comments about the Quaker-themed bit from Steven Prothero on Steven Colbert where one of them said that Quaker Meeting is like the city bus:
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-like-city-bus-with-botox.html

Here is the bit off my other blog about the topic:
http://rantwomanrsof.blogspot.com/2011/04/oatmeal-people-ride-bus.html




Here is an item about trying to figure out someone’s electronic imagery.
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2009/01/blowing-up-puppies.html



Here is an item about getting to say with impunity things one probably should not say aboard a ferry
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2010/06/rantwoman-gets-around.html



Here for the sake of conversational diversity is today’s item off DiversityInc about the Occupy protests. In a fast first pass I see no disability-specific content. Nevertheless, this link is included here to make the following point, which I hope a number of people will take to heart: I really hate not being able to read as much on my own as I used to and sometimes it becomes almost absurdly important tnat there be space in conversations not only to talk about various other Friends’ fixations but maybe possibly to talk about the content of the thimbles full of reading I get done. I see NO conflict between this point, respect for people’s time and TIMELY and APPROPRIATE interaction with requests for help. Extensive further tirade available almost instantly if asked.
http://diversityinc.com/generaldiversityinformation/diversity-strategies-to-keep-occupy-wall-street-protesters-at-bay/?mgs1=8f7c5XPowS


In the Light

(RantWoman)

No comments:

Post a Comment