Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4 Disability Awareness

Dear Friends

This is like the SAT’s. Probably no one will interact with everything
here, but who says I know when to quit?

Today’s items:

An item I came across by following links off Twitter:
http://www.helpinghands4theblind.org/dos-and-donts/


An item about a different person’s experience of vision, lots of
assumptions about the blind, some do’s and don’ts from the article
cited and from me as well.

http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2010/08/oh-wow-she-eats-sandwiches.html

This item mentions several issues and behaviors spelled out in a
survey I did awhile ago about the experience of people with
disabilities and issues these people face in different contexts such
as transportation, shopping, school…. I could see from my answers that
I am comparatively well off, but I was also checking “would rather not
answer” a little too often for questions about my religious
congregation and a couple other highly important activities.

Two items from my blogs about lots and lots of people having the same
problems and the benefits of someone making a lot of noise to try to
address the situation.

If you think our Friend with the ministry of audible eye rolling is a
challenge, add a memorial:
http://rantwomanrsof.blogspot.com/2011/07/agnes-schmoe.html


More RantWoman tells too much of the truth but the item about the
healthcare summit is what I am referring to.
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2009/01/death-by-powerpoint-part-n1.html

Those of you who read this item and my previous experience of purple
text on green background may be amused that my very own Quaker blog
now has purple text on a green background. Credit: high-index plastic
instead of glass in my current lasses, dramatically improved color
presentation and flat screen technology on the computer.


One more because it turned up while finding the items above.
Another staple of life with disabilities, the consent decree This
item is a lot of policy nerd content probably not of immediate
relevance for life at UFM. Sometimes access for people who need
language assistance is addressed in the same organizational processes
as access for people with disabilities. This item is interesting to me
because it ONLY cites legislation related to disabilities and only
addresses disabilities but does list an interesting list of kinds of
assistance.
http://rantwoman.blogspot.com/2010/01/effective-communications-for-people.html


In the Light

(RantWoman)

PS: a more or less serious question: I have a job posting from (large company) about accessibility sitting in my inbox. The RantWoman tendency to tell too much of the truth would kick in: Dear Potential Employer, I thought you deserved to get sued ... about accessibility… I am meditating about some other issues; it’s possible applying would be an interesting exercise even if I did not get the job. In any case, if Friends know anyone in a position to comment on what it’s like to work (at said company), I would be interested in talking…

No comments:

Post a Comment