Friday, August 4, 2023

Knock 'em dead, with cat and fighter planes.

Black cat, white woman with grey hair and glasses, green plant
Onyx and RantWoman


We interrupt this age of #ClimateCatastrophe, hot tub temperature seawater, Raytheon marketing drone war proof of concept with autocratic lunatic on the side, gut-wrenching refugee and border stories, culture war fearmongering, and repetitive EX presidential indictments to offer....


a simple pet memorial. 


To my adoring public--and anyone else who stumbles onto this post.


This has been sitting for a couple days and I am sharing it with various clumps of people in my life. One of the joys for me of online worship is getting to "meet" other people's creatures. Friends who have met me in Zoom worship may have met my cat Onyx.


I had to take Onyx to the vet on Wednesday. She did not come home.


I am probably still a couple nights sleep away from being able to talk much assuming I could even hear myself think over the #BlueAngels.


A short remembrance for my cat Onyx and special thanks to the cab driver who drove us to the vet because cultures and creatures and customers are sometimes an awkward combination.


I knew Onyx was at least 16. The vet she was 18. She has had the same vet since getting spayed after a bit of teenage motherhood and a stint with a weighty Friend before she came to me on an FGC-related catsit and stayed on to live with me.


The vet said sometimes older cats get hyperthyroidism and burn all their fat really quickly. Onyx could barely eat or drink and aside from reluctance about hundreds of dollars of tests, I could not face daily medication struggles even if there were medication that would help. So I let her go and also let her not come home in an urn. I feel okay about that because of many pictures.


Okay I still miss her meows when I come in the door but I am to the steps of giving away cat food and other cat things that she did not use anyway.


Onyx was totally my pandemic buddy.


Onyx made it clear sometimes when I wanted to cry and mope that she would not tolerate too much of that and needed me to hold it together. This was weirdly helpful.


Onyx sent all sorts of tail-twitching alerts when any of The Pigeon menace wanted to land on our window ledge.


Onyx was not nearly as adventurous as my previous cat. For instance, to my relief actually, she had absolutely no interest in strolls along the railing on our balcony 4 floors up from the patio.


At this point I am more or less okay, sometimes more, sometimes less, grateful for longtime companionship.


Thank you all for sharing this journey.


In Light and Faithfulness


(RantWoman)


PS, some snark via Twitter:


Blue Angels Time 1     




Well-deserved snark about the #BlueAngels


And in case I still have your attention, 

Ep. 2 Knock em Dead with Rachel Bradley and Christopher Titus

No comments:

Post a Comment