Saturday, June 14, 2014

High Conflict????

Dear Conflict is a Gift of God Friend,

Thank you so much for the link for the High Conflict Institute.
http://highconflictinstitute.com/component/content/article/78-hci-articles/published-articles/203-healing-is-hard

1. This site looks like quite a useful resource for all kinds of circumstances.

2. Offering a useful resource, and even better one that is accessible for me and that I can share as led, is a GIGANTIC improvement over considerable past abuse: having to fight with you about crossing streets; endless tiresome and disrespectful comments about my family, my work, my screen reader.... So thank you for your efforts to cut back offensive behavior  in this area.

3.  I was also interested to click through to the New Ways for families site:
http://www.newways4families.com/   . I am especially pleased to see at least one person with glasses in the intro video. I consider this a welcome contrast to the High Conflict Institute site where NO ONE wears  visible glasses, though I am not clear about contacts.

4. I looked through the list of HCI clients and did not see any locations that deal specifically with disabilities. I assume people with disabilities might be present in many of the places listed, but I am reminded of a time when Seattle Housing Authority (SHA) residents contracted with trainers from the Dispute Resolution Center for some training in SHA communities.
   One night in a room full of blind people, people with all kinds of disabilities and idiosyncratic physical presentation, the lead trainer for that session chirpily told us all that 90% of communication is body language. On a bad night a comment like that would just make my brain fly out the window no matter how much other useful information there might be in a presentation. So I am wondering, in all your conflict resolution reading, do you know of any materials that explicitly include questions of disability, accessibility, inclusion, respect for different people's capacities?
   As it was on that particular evening I had already exceeded my quota of insistences including measures to help ensure the person with an interpreter gets heard, assertiveness about noise level and general clamor, and I forget what all else. It was the end of the presentation. I was annoyed with a friend for not inviting people to request accommodations in the advertising, I was taking notes in Braille because key things were not available in accessible formats. Generally it was about an average day. Oh, and I deservedly got nailed by a perceptive neighbor for sarcasm, but who needs accessible formats anyway?

I think that question was rhetorical.

Anyway, thank you for the resources. They will now be at least findable again on my blog.

Sincerely,

RantWoman

No comments:

Post a Comment