Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Worship programmed and less so

RantWoman is collecting these two, seemingly worlds apart items about worship partly so she can find them again and partly to meditate about movements of spirit in crowds of different sizes and complexity.

http://forusa.org/world-owes-you-its-gratitude-progress-toward-nuclear-abolition

RantWoman is struck by the language quoted from representatives of different faiths about worship. RantWoman also reflects on what happens when Quakers propose silence at such mass gatherings; sometimes words just hold the space better.


Here is worship of a different flavor:
http://quakeroatslive.blogspot.com/2010/10/response-to-brent-bills-modest-proposal.html
This item is mainly about worship and RantWoman finds herself deeply grateful, decades after she needed them for words she migth have said to RantDad the choir director when he would get his underwear in a wad, excuse the description, over the pastor doing some thing or another to disrupt RantDad's programming of music for the Baptist service: let God be n charge and see where things go.

RantWoman means to write more of worship and of Brent Bill, but this is enough here.

1 comment:

  1. Rantwoman, I have to say that this piece you wrote, including widely differing modes of worship is helpful for me this week. I am getting used to unprogrammed worship and feel that I do not miss any programmed. At the same time, when unprogrammed MfW goes on and there is absolutely no spiritual ministry, I am some times at a loss: I do my own thing. I sit in silence (which at times is so good), I pray, I meditate on verses that come to mind, and yes-as I have an active mind-I can even hear songs/hymns from the past. So, in some ways, I see a balance. Perhaps a balance of some programming may at times even take the pressure off some Friends....? I'm just thinking out loud. Thank you for linking these 2 sites and bringing the variations forward.
    Jan Lyn

    ReplyDelete