Sunday, May 24, 2009

Enough

If you just want to get to something sweet and special, feel free to skip to the link which says "Enough." If you even vaguely think the zigs and zags served up by RantWoman's soul might help you on your journey, please just keep reading.

Some might consider RantWoman a heartless witch. RantWoman used to have a job where a small part of the job description empowered and indeed required her to be severely and enforceably allergic to any piece of email that in the faintest degree looked, smelled, sounded anything remotely like a chain letter.

Decades have passed. This habit has persisted, though now the new term of art is spam. By spam RantWoman means not the canned meat product and not even the frightening email options for expanding body parts one either does not have or already has plenty of thank you very much. Spam in the RantWoman lexicon also includes all those bits of treacly sentiment, photoshopped preposterousness, wisecracks about aging and other such material delivered exuberantly by several retirees otherwise near and dear to RantWoman, especially if these missives include requests to forward them to 5 or 10 of 5 million of one's closest friends.

RantWoman also has a pretty steady need to get work done in volumes that exceed her easy capacity even when she does not take time to read every piece of email that comes in. RantWoman tends to leave items she thinks are likely to be this sort of distraction in her "maybe get to someday" file. Alas tonight in the middle of conversations on other topics. RantMom mentioned that she had sent and she hoped RantWoman would read the following item:

Begin excerpt:
ENOUGH: Recently, I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure. Standing near the security gate, they hugged, and the mother said, 'I love you, and I pray you enough.' The daughter replied, 'Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I pray you enough, too, Mom.' They kissed, and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there, I could see she wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on her privacy, but she welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?' Yes, I have,' I replied. 'Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?' 'Well...I'm not as young as I once was, she lives so far away & has her own busy life. I have some challenges ahead, and the reality is - her next trip back will be for my funeral,' she said. 'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I pray you enough.' May I ask what that means?' She began to smile. 'That's a prayer that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone.' She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and she smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I pray you enough,' we wanted the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.' Then, turning toward me, she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory. I pray you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear. I pray you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more. I pray you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting. I pray you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger. I pray you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. I pray you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. I pray you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye. Then, she began to cry, and walked away. They say, it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but an entire life to forget them. . TAKE TIME TO LIVE..... To all my friends and loved ones, I PRAY YOU ENOUGH

End Excerpt

RantWoman supposes this can serve as her ministry on the course of Meeting for Worship this morning. A newcomer committed the nearly unpardonable sin not only of reading aloud from the Bible, three different passages RantWoman believes but also then ministered a SECOND time with more Bible verses about prayer. This did not actually degenerate either into popcorn or into loud public eldering of the hapless visitor in the middle of Meeting for Worship. The other messages which ensued had to do with prayer and, more or less, continuing revelation with respect to multiple interpretations of the mentioned Bible passages. They occurred well enough spaced for good amounts of worship between. RantWoman felt a temptation to minister flitter through her mind but is grateful that flatout lethargy and even somnolence overtook at the time. Tonight though the item above from RantMom seems like just the right contribution to the theme. When in doubt, go for really touching over literal Bible verses any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment